Cancer Journal - Tuesday August 20th – The Next Step in the Journey

I’ll cut to the chase. I got the results back from the lab today and they found cancer cells in 3 of the 26 lymph nodes that they collected during surgery. Of course, 3 is better than 23 but we were hoping for zero. So, needless to say this is a massive disappointment.  I will be meeting with an oncologist, possibly next week when I meet with my surgeon for a follow up next Tuesday, to talk about what all of this means. The short version is that it means chemotherapy is very likely. (I don’t know if there are ANY circumstances which would NOT include chemotherapy but I’m leaving that open until I have more information.) The short version of what to expect is that probably about six weeks after surgery, I will begin chemotherapy treatment over the course of six months. So, this is essentially from end of September to end of February.

I’m trying to remain calm about this and consider it another hiccup along the path and an added nuisance given that chemotherapy is just not fun. But I’m also trying to remain hopeful that chemotherapy comes in grades of severity and that my overall good health will help me react strongly and positively to the negative side effects of chemotherapy or will not require the most severe course or both.

I don’t know what else to say beyond this. I was really hoping for a result that would bring this journey to an end with the least amount of disruption possible. It sucks that it is going to be more complicated but I’m still convinced that I am dealing with a cancer that has very manageable options for me and that I’m ready to do what I need to do to get through this.

I look forward to the day when I can say that I am completely in remission. Unfortunately, that day is not today.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Loving Your Enemies, Serving Your Loved Ones

Hell and Damnation

Names and Labels (Top Posted)