Render unto Caesar that which is Caesar’s


The title of this blog post comes from a fairly well-known passage of the Gospel of Matthew (Mt. 22:15-22) in which he is asked a difficult question to test his knowledge of and fidelity to the laws and covenants of Judaism. In this passage, he is asked if it is lawful to pay taxes to Caesar. Behind this question is a raft of Hebrew scriptures. There is the prohibition against “graven images” (Exodus 20:4) as well as the prohibition against bowing down to other Gods in verse 5. Connected to these prohibitions are numerous scriptural stories in which the ancient kings of Judah and Israel are berated by the prophets for paying tributes to foreign kings. Each time this happens, the prophet scolds the king for relying on idolatrous foreign kings rather than placing their trust in God. So, when Jesus is put to this test, he is not simply being asked should we pay taxes. He is being asked should we pay tribute to Caesar.

Jesus’ response to this question is beyond clever. First of all, he asks to see a coin for paying the tax. The questioner, presumably a faithful Jew, produces a denarius, which is a coin of the realm which has a picture of Caesar on it, a graven image. So, right from the start, Jesus is pointing out that the righteous questioner is also someone who carries around graven images of Caesar. And to make the point, Jesus asks, “Whose image is this?” to which they answer, “Caesar’s.” And that is when Jesus offers his reply, “Render, therefore, to Caesar that which is Caesar’s.” Essentially, he is saying, “This is Caesar’s coin so pay his tax with his coin.”

At a men’s group meeting recently, we were looking at this scripture and I had to admit that, as familiar as I am with this passage, I have generally ignored the second half of Jesus’ reply. Jesus’ full reply is “Render, therefore, to Caesar that which is Caesar’s and to God that which is God’s.”

Jesus makes the point that “that which is Caesar’s” is Caesar’s coin. Jesus, takes the coin, looks at the image and let’s the questioner know, “This is Caesar’s so give it back to him.” It almost makes the point that the ONLY thing you possess which is Caesar’s is this coin. So, the coin is Caesar’s. That is clear. But, what is God’s? I would argue EVERYTHING ELSE. But the wisdom in this scripture goes deeper than that broad, possibly unprovable, assertion.

His lengthier reply makes his question, “Whose image is this?” that much more powerful! Caesar has placed his image on the coin signifying that it is his. But, what has God placed God’s image on? US! In the Priestly version of the Creation story that begins the Book of Genesis, God comes to the creation of humans and says, “Let us make humankind in our image, according to our likeness.” So, render Caesar’s coin unto Caesar because it has his image on it but whose image is this on you? It is God’s image. So, render to God that which bears God’s image, YOU!

I feel certain that Jesus knew this scripture when he asked the question, “Whose image is this?” Which makes the questioner’s response all the more powerful. “When they heard this, they were AMAZED! (Mt. 22:22, emphasis mine.) They weren’t amazed because he played a clever trick on them by causing them to show that they carry around an idolatrous coin or because he turned their question around so simply. They were amazed because he revealed to them a new teaching, that to be made in God’s image is to be claimed by God.

To expand on this for my non-theist friends, we often hear the question, “Who are you?” But perhaps the most important question is “WHOSE are you?” Scientifically speaking, you are made of the very atoms that came into being at the first nanosecond of this universe’s existence. You are further made of atoms that later formed stars which then exploded making heavier elements. You are star stuff. So, you are a child of the Universe itself.

Whether theist or non-theist, the question I put to you is what is that which made you calling you to do and how are you rendering unto your creator that which is your creator’s? What are you called to do and how are you listening for that calling?

About three years ago, I was working at a hospital that is an hour away on a good day and often an hour and a half away when I drove home. (Funny how people arrive to work between 7 and 10am but they all go home at 5pm.) That, added to the 9-10 hour workdays, meant that I was away from home for 11-12 hours every day. I would leave before my kids got up for school and I would get home as they were finishing dinner and getting ready for bed.

That’s not what God was calling me to do anymore. I didn’t wait to have children until I was 42 years old to never see them, to not be a father. So, I quit my job. Now, I was fortunate enough to be in a situation where that was financially possible for me and my wife. Today, I get to take my kids to school in the morning. If they have an event at school during the day, I can go to it. And, even though the pick up window for picking them up from school is 2:45 to 3pm, there is hardly a day when I’m not there at 2:44. I take them to the library, to the park, to soccer practices, violin lessons. This is what I am called to do.

But I’m still listening. And the one who has claimed me is still speaking. How can I render myself unto my Creator today? I’ve been enjoying the last three years but I am staying attentive to how that call might change. In big ways and in small.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Loving Your Enemies, Serving Your Loved Ones

Names and Labels (Top Posted)

Hell and Damnation