Lenten Journey: Aspects of Spirituality – $$$

When I draw this Wheel of Spirituality, I often just put those dollar signs in this portion of the wheel. This area IS about your financial well-being but it is also about worth.

Again, thinking about Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs, there are various levels of financial security. There is the basic financial need that is about being able to provide food, clothing, and shelter for you and your family. There is also the financial desire for greater security for the longterm, the ability to provide a future for our children or other loved ones in need and the desire to feel secure in the knowledge that the next health crisis isn’t going to threaten any of those basic needs. And then there is the financial desire for security and comfort.

However, this $$$ placeholder is about more than just the health of your checking account or investments. This is also about worth and identity. How do you view your own worth? Is it only about what you can provide financially or are you accounting for all of your worth? Do you truly value yourself? One of the greatest barriers to a relationship with God or a Higher Power is the feeling that you are not worthy of that relationship. The idea that you must first love yourself before you can love and feel loved by another is not just a cliché but a powerful truth in the human experience.

And what about identity? Who do you say you are?

This may be an apocryphal story. I’ve never heard someone from England verify it for me but I was once told that, if you ask an English person “What do you do?” they will tell you about their interests and their hobbies. Here in the United States, we inevitably answer that question with our occupation. Our occupation is a very big part of our identities and, therefore, our sense of worth.

When you answer that question, how do you answer it and how do you feel about your worth when you answer that question? Do you sense a hierarchy of judgment in your answer? Is being a student not sufficient or being unemployed an identity that sticks to your soul rather than a temporary or chosen status that underlies another story?

When I quit my job at the hospital, I thought I was better prepared to answer this question. I’m a 21st century man. The fact that I left my job while my wife went to work full-time and I stayed home to take care of the kids shouldn’t threaten me. But it was harder than I thought. There was a lot in my brain and our culture that challenged my sense of self-worth as a man who wasn’t providing the paycheck for my family. As it turned out, it really was the best possible scenario because, when Covid hit, I was well-suited to guide my children’s education through that time of remote learning. But it took a while in that time between my last day at the hospital and the beginning of the pandemic for me to really feel comfortable with saying, “I’m a stay-at-home dad.”

So, as you contemplate this part of the Wheel of Spirituality, certainly consider how well your financial needs are cared for so that you have the ability to give greater attention to the transcendent. But also consider this part of your spirituality as deeply connected to that Self-Esteem part of the wheel. Who do you say you are? How do you feel about your identity? And how might your identity also be a much greater question than “What do you do for a paycheck?” What ARE your interests and hobbies? How does that inform your identity? And how does that identity help you to re-create yourself through the cycles of life?

-------------------------

You are welcome to take this journey in solitude in your own personal journal or share your reflections. If anything that you do makes you think you might want to continue a journey using Spiritual Direction, now or in the future, you can make an appointment with me through my website: 

www.RedRocksSDC.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Loving Your Enemies, Serving Your Loved Ones

Names and Labels (Top Posted)

Hell and Damnation