Lenten Journey: Aspects of Spirituality – Recreation

This next aspect of our spirituality offers a little word play. Recreation, what do you do for fun? I like to play with the word by pronouncing recreation as RE-Creation. Recreation is about doing things you enjoy. Re-creation is about finding things that rejuvenate you, that give you energy, and feed your spirit.

Life is full of tasks, to do lists, and life events that can sap our energy. So, our spirits need a break from the drudgery, not just in distractions which can be an energy sucker themselves (Hello, Facebook). But truly rejuvenating, inspiring re-creation.

Of course, this can be very different things to different people. For my wife, she re-creates by hiking in the mountains. I enjoy hiking in the mountains also but for me that joy is mostly about being with her. My re-creational activities include sitting in the sun at a baseball park (any park, I even stopped off on a road trip in Atlanta, Georgia and watched a little league game one time) and singing. (Not necessarily combined although I have sung the National Anthem at a few ballparks.)

This might be my bias but I would caution that “checking something off the ‘to do’ list,” while gratifying, is not what I’m talking about. There’s a place for that, to be sure. Cleaning out the garage comes with enormous gratification and relief but I’m really trying to get to the heart of what brings you joy. What provides you with bliss and maybe even contributes to the energy you’ll need to clean that garage or finish that scrapbooking project you’ve been working on?

What have you done to re-create yourself lately? Are you aware of something that fits that bill but which you haven’t done in a long time? What can you do to give yourself permission to care for yourself in this most intentional way?

We often find plenty of excuses for not giving ourselves permission to care for ourselves. Everything from "we don’t have time for that" to, the truly soul-crushing, "we don’t deserve it." Whether you come from a Puritan lineage or not, there are a lot of “shoulds” and “shame” in human nature that tell us that "we must ALWAYS be productive” in a certain way or that "we have done something that we must constantly be paying the price for" and self-care violates that spirit of constant repentance and shame.

But that takes us into the next topic: self-esteem. I was going to write about that today but I didn’t have the energy for it. So, I gave myself permission to try again tomorrow. Self-care, my friends.

-------------------------

You are welcome to take this journey in solitude in your own personal journal or share your reflections. If anything that you do makes you think you might want to continue a journey using Spiritual Direction, now or in the future, you can make an appointment with me through my website: 

www.RedRocksSDC.com 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Loving Your Enemies, Serving Your Loved Ones

Names and Labels (Top Posted)

Hell and Damnation